Thursday 20 May 2010

Book Preview: Gone by Michael Grant

I picked this book up at Icklebooks today. I remember reading the review at Steph's blog and I knew I wanted to read it. I even had it on our shopping list.

And when I popped into Icklebooks and saw it just sitting there I thought, "It can't be..."

It was. I remember reading about the premise of this book and thinking, "That's awesome!" Then I read the first chapter and thought, "OMG, this is the best thing since Hunger Games." I can't wait to finish reading this book.

Okay, here's what I've read so far. There are a bunch of teens in their classroom and their teacher just disappears before their eyes. Soon they discover that all the adults have disappeared. In fact, anybody over the age of 15 has vanished. You can imagine the chaos that will follow. The three main characters run off to their houses to discover that their parents aren't anywhere to be found.

OMG. What's going on? What's going to happen next? I love this type of book. I can't wait to read more. I'm thinking: Lord of the Flies. Will the young people in this small town be good little people and take care of one another or are they going to get really evil? I wonder. Will they organize themselves? How will they eat? Imagine all these kids getting into cars and driving around. What would happen in a situation like this where kids have the run of the world and can do anything they want without adult supervision. Imagine the possibilities!

Here is the Amazon Description:
Suddenly there are no adults, no answers. What would you do? In the blink of an eye, the world changes. The adults vanish without a trace, and those left must do all they can to survive. But everyone's idea of survival is different. Some look after themselves, some look after others, and some will do anything for power...Even kill. For Sam and Astrid, it is a race against time as they try to solve the questions that now dominate their lives...What is the mysterious wall that has encircled the town of Perdido Beach and trapped everyone within? Why have some kids developed strange powers? And can they defeat Caine and his gang of bullies before they turn fifteen and disappear too? It isn't until the world collapses around you that you find out what kind of person you really are. This book offers a chilling portrayal of a world with no rules. When life as you know it ends at 15, everything changes.

No comments: