Sunday 14 September 2008

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

stepheniemeyer.com:

Deeply sensuous and extraordinarily suspenseful, TWILIGHT captures the struggle between defying our instincts and satisfying our desires. This is a love story with bite. Isabella Swan's move to Forks, a small, perpetually rainy town in Washington, could have been the most boring move she ever made. But once she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen, Isabella's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Isabella, the person Edward holds most dear. The lovers find themselves balanced precariously on the point of a knife-between desire and danger.


Imagine if you fell in love with a vampire. What would happen? Can you imagine how hard it would be for your vampire love to resist biting your neck and damning you to a life as a blood sucker? Cool!

Twilight is an excellent book! You should read it. I give it five stars.

After seeing so many copies of Twilight bouncing around my class, I just had to ask. I was told it was a vampire love story and I guess that sounded interesting so I Googled it and found out that it has been a bestseller for a few years now. Actually, I felt a bit embarrassed that I hadn't heard of it. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about so I went down to Best Eastern at The Mall. I didn't see any copies on display so I asked one of the sales attendants about it. To my surprise, she knew what I was talking about and directed me to the counter. She pulled a bag off the floor in a spot hidden below. She uncovered it and placed it in my hands. I think it had somebody's name on it, but she let me buy it anyway (sorry if that copy was yours). If I had known that it was the last copy available in the country, I guess I would have been jubilant. Instead, I simply grinned with satisfaction, not knowing how lucky I really was.

Anyway, I was tired the night I got it so I only read the first 20 pages. The book seemed pretty good, but I was so busy at the time and I still had a couple chapters of Peter Pan in Scarlet to finish off. A few days later I read another 50 pages or so. That's when it took off. I coudn't put it down and one night I stayed up late to read it. I was so tired the next day I wondered if the students could tell. Yes, even teachers stay up later than they should sometimes. Great book. Everyone should read it.

I give this book five out of five stars simply because there are times when you just can't put it down. No, it isn't as incredible as Harry Potter, but it is still very good. I suspect the reason why a lot of the girls like this book would be their attraction to Edward. Also, they probably like the first person narrative because they get to see the world through another girl's eyes. I'm just guessing though. You will have to tell me (maybe in the comment section of this post).

For me, I couldn't help wondering what it would be like to be Edward. Wouldn't it be great to be a vampire? You could live forever. You could be rich. As Edward, you could read people's thoughts and charm them. You'd be super strong and fast. You would never have to sleep or eat (well, except for drinking blood). You could study all kinds of things like piano, languages, and history. And, you could be a "good" vampire. You could go out and hunt down evil criminals and make them pay! In other words, you could be a superhero! I like that idea. There should be a TV series like that. Good fun.

(*Spoiler alert* do not read this paragraph if you haven't read Twilight) I guess it was the whole saving Bella from the car accident that caught my attention and the mystery behind why Edward seemed to hate her at the beginning. I knew it was a vampire book so I was curious as to how Meyer was going to develop the story. How would she find out that he was a vampire? What would happen next? Would she want to become a vampire? Actually, I was a bit disappointed when Jacob just out and told her about the Cullens. I had hoped Bella would slowly put the clues together herself. Still, that was okay. Oh, and one other thing I really liked was the references to literature like "Romeo and Juliet". I hope it inspires you to read it someday!

5/5 Stars

No comments: