Sunday 15 March 2009

2008 Books of the Year

In 2008, the ALA had 8,000 teens vote for their favourite books and the top 10 books are listed below. I'm curious to know how many people have read them. I'm also curious to know which ones are being sold in local bookstores.

  1. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
  2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
  3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
  4. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
  5. Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports by James Patterson
  6. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
  7. The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray
  8. Extras by Scott Westerfeld
  9. Before I Die by Jenny Downham
  10. Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

Like most of you, I have read number one and two. Although, I think Harry Potter was better than Eclipse, don't you? I have read Westerfeld's Uglies, Pretties, and Specials, but I haven't bought the fourth book in the series which is Extras. The series was great so I guess I should finish it off.

Now, what about the others? Here is some info on the other books that maybe you haven't heard of. By the way, the new set of nominated books for the ALA awards will come out in about four weeks. Woohoo! The info is from the ALA website which can be found here: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/yalsa/teenreading/teenstopten/2008_nominees.pdf



3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid


Greg Heffley knows he’s not popular, but he tries hard to fit in. He records his
observations about life in middle school in his journal (NOT a diary, he says)
along with frequent drawings. Realistic and laugh out loud funny!

Comment: This book looks like a lot of fun. It has a lot of cartoons in it. I wonder if we can find it at a local bookstore. Please let me know if you have seen it.





4. Vampire Academy

Two best friends, one a pure vampire and one a half-blood vampire, are captured
and returned to the private school they escaped from two years ago. But things
have changed since they left and there is now danger to add to the drama that
resides in the halls of St. Vladimir’s Academy.

Comment: I'm not sure I can do another vampire series. Well, if anybody has read it, please let us know whether or not it is good. Is this a Twilight copycat?



5. Maximum Ride

Max and her flock of winged, genetically engineered teens have been literally
stamped with an expiration date. Additionally, they are split apart and spread
around the world, hiding or captive to their worst enemies. The whitecoats
(scientists) are at it again, tinkering with the usual way of things. How will the
flock manage to defeat a “re-evolution” plan to engineer a superior human race
and save the world?

Comment: This series sounds interesting. Teens that can fly? Genetic engineered teens? I'm in. Where can I buy a copy of this? :)

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/Saving-World-Maximum-Ride-Book/dp/031615427X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237117123&sr=1-1

No comments: